Does your cottage basement have problems with condensation during summer hot spells? If so, chances are you have mold. You are not alone with this problem. Let me tell you a few facts about mold.
Renter complaints about damp, musty basements have increased the past couple of years. I suspect this is due to the warm, humid weather we've had. My concern is that these conditions are ideal for the growth of black mold- so beware! The presence of black mold can cause serious health issues so it's best to deal with the dampness now before you develop a mold problem.
The solution is simple. Put a dehumidifier in your basement to remove excess moisture from the air. Mold requires three elements to survive: oxygen, water, a food source (mold likes to 'eat' drywall). The presence of mold indicates that there is an excess of moisture in the area - sometimes from a leaking pipe or an excess in condensaion.
To get rid of mold, the first step would be to fix the source of moisture. Next, simply wash and dry the area thoroughly. The best cleaner for small amounts of mold is ordinary household detergent. It's a good idea to check the area the next day because very fine particles can remain as mold dust, which is every bit as harmful as the original mold was.